Thursday, January 20, 2011

Urban Decay

I love pictures of old buildings. They have so much intricate detail that you often dont see replicated in the glass and steel skinned buildings of today. When I see a delightful old building sitting proudly restored my heart lifts a little - call me crazy but this has been the effect that buildings have had on me. Surprisingly then when I see an old decrepit building whose former glory is behind it I also am inspired. There is something about a weathered rotted out hulk of a building that speaks to me. I can remember back to when I encountered my first really grand ruins in the UK. The ones that I remember the most Fountains Abbey,Melrose Abbey and Rievaulx Abbey. As I got into photography in college, I found myself taking more pictures of buildings than people - much to the chagrin of women that I dated. Whenever I find a really cool photo essay on a ruin I naturally have to check it out. Today is one of those days...From the Blog The Kingston Lounge comes these amazing shots of a long abandoned institution on North Brother Island in the East River of NYC. Here is a shot of the former nurses quarters...



No comments:

Post a Comment