Thursday, February 10, 2011

My Favorite Onion News Clip of All Time

Yes video games are an easy target. Like comics, rock and roll, rap, and movies before us we get the blame. I would like our legislators and talking heads to really focus on the true causes of societies ills - ignorance, intolerance, poverty and neglect. These are the difficult problems. Fighting them is tough to market in our sound byte world. Its much easier to distract people and shift the blame than it is to own it.

Video games just like movies are rated - for a good reason. The rating is for parents to make a judgment about what is appropriate to buy for their children. Parents do your homework. When your child asks you to buy Game "X" look at the box! If it has an "M" on it, dont buy it until you know what its about. Do your homework. I'll never forget a conversation I had with a woman on a plane who wanted to know if I thought Grand Theft Auto: Vice City was appropriate for her 10 year old son. Good for her! I thought here is a woman who really cares about her kid and she's gathering information about what he is interested in buying. Instead of just giving in and buying "what all the other kids are playing," she's putting the effort forward to make an informed choice. I told her while she was the one who new her son the best, my advice was to hold off on GTA - its not for kids. Ok my rant is over....onto the funny video.

No comments:

Post a Comment