Friday, January 14, 2011

Young people love Austin...

Despite the high levels of Cedar pollen and the summer heat that cooks in the hundreds for weeks at a time - young people are moving to Austin in record numbers. The first time Austin showed up on my radar was after I watched Richard Linklater's awesome indie film Slacker. The locations for the film were definitely not southern California and I watched the credits to find out where it was filmed. I finally got to Austin in the late nineties on a cross country road trip. I stayed with friends and did a lot of the touristy things but what really made an impression on me was how interesting and friendly everyone was. I fell in love with the place and when I had the chance to live here in 2006 my wife and I jumped at the chance. The last 4+ years have been great. I hope the new influx of people will Austin continue to preserve this cities wonderful charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment